Iron Light Sculpture Residency and Gathering
May 24 - June 27, 2023
MAKE MOLDS • CAST IRON • BUILD ART
Established in 2019, The Western North Carolina Sculpture Center (WNCSC) invites artists the opportunity to live on site and create artwork. The work created through this residency program is intended to enhance visitors experience to our sculpture park in new ways as relating to the WNCSC mission of connecting people with the arts.
2023 will be the third year of the WNCSC Iron Light sculptor gathering. This group residency consists of pattern and mold making work time, iron pour preparation, a community iron pour where participating artists' molds will be filled, finishing work, installation and reception. Each selected artist will have their completed work represented and exhibited in the sculpture park for one year! Iron Light sculptors in residence will be giving a community artist talk to present the work of their choosing.
Iron Pour to take place on June 3!
Iron casting experience is preferred but not required.
Application Process and Materials Below. We strongly recommend reading the Residency Information below before applying.
Photo credits: Randy Knauf
Applications open December 7, 2022
Deadline January 20, 2023 at midnight
Applicants will be notified during the week of January 30, 2023.
The residency runs from May 24 - June 7, 2023
• Artists 21 years of age or older at all stages of their career are eligible to apply
• International Artists may apply
• WNCSC is unable to accommodate children at this time to join selected artists. Spouses may be a possibility.
• Access to all iron casting related equipment
• Access to select blacksmithing and metal fabrication equipment as needed and approved by WNCSC Director
• 24 hour open studio with approved equipment
• Studio Assistance by Iron Light interns and Site Managers upon request and pending availability. We will do what we can to provide studio assistance, due to the communal nature of the foundry process it is expected that artists help each other.
• The residency fee includes up to 300 lbs. of foundry sand, foundry chemicals and up to 150 lbs. of iron, to be broken by the artist. Additional sand and foundry chemicals will be available at a rate of $8.00 per 50 lbs and additional iron consumed will be the responsibility of the artist at 50 cents per pound.
• Artists are responsible for traveling to and from WNCSC. We may be able to pick up artists who are flying into Charlotte-Douglas International Airport. To inquire, please email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Airport Pick-Up" in the email subject line. We are happy to discuss transportation options for those unable to drive.
• A vehicle would be recommended if possible. We are happy to coordinate hardware store and material distributor runs as possible, expect a possible 24-48 hour scheduling.
• Selected artists will be staying in personal tents. Camping accommodations are included in the residency fee. There are camp site options, various distances and levels of seclusion from the studio. The campsites themselves do not include electricity or running water. The WNC Sculpture Center features a communal kitchen space that doubles as the sculptor's lounge as well as ample restrooms and a shower.
Should an artist be interested in staying in a dorm room with the Patterson School Foundation which features a communal kitchen space, an additional fee would apply. Email email@example.com for more information with "Dorm" in the email subject line.
• WNCSC will provide meals for the day of the iron pour as part of Iron Light 2023. We will strive to provide additional meals as we are able.
• Selected sculptors complete work that will be exhibited in the 2023-2024 Iron Light Residency Exhibition in the sculpture park.
• Sculptors are expected to be actively working on a personal project or iron pour prep for the majority of the 2 week duration of Iron Light.
• Engage with the public, when necessary, in a cordial and professional manner.
• Participate in the artist talk to be held at opening reception for Iron Light Exhibition.
• No fee to apply
• Residency fee is $400. Half to be paid no later than 2 weeks prior (May 11, 2023) to the start of the residency (May 25, 2022), when the remaining fee is to be paid. Cancellations within 48 hours of May 28th result in 50% deposit return.
Application Review Process
• After the application deadline passes, WNCSC Executive Director and Founder, Joseph Bigley will review all applications and will determine a maximum of 6 sculptors to participate in the Iron Light Sculpture Residency and Gathering. Applicants will be notified the week of January 30,2023.
• Provide the following information in the body of the email:
Address, City, State, ZIP
Date of Birth
Names, Email and Phone of 2 References
• Digital Portfolio, 5-10 images. (Links to specific pages of a personal website will suffice. Make sure all required information is provided on page or submit supplemental image key)
Jpeg files required. Individual files not to exceed 1.5 MB.
Files to be named, Lastname_01.jpeg, Lastname_02.jpeg, etc.
Time based works not to exceed 3 minutes, .mov files only.
• Portfolio Image Key to include file name, title, medium, dimensions, year completed
Send all application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Iron Light Application
Deadline January 20, 2023, midnight
Late applications will not be accepted.