Artist Internship Program
2021 Summer Internship Internship Overview:
The Western North Carolina Sculpture Center is looking for interns to live and work at WNCSC. There are two separate 5 week intern sections to choose from. Section 1 runs from May 24th - June 28th, 2021. Section 2 runs from June 28th - August 2nd, 2021. The minimum duration is 5 weeks and could extend beyond August should applicants are interested. Applicants may apply to work through both Sections as well, though it is not guaranteed that selection means selection for both sections.
Section 1: This section will coincide with our Iron Light Cast Iron Sculpture Residency and Gathering.
Interns will be tasked with assisting resident artists periodically with mold making and will be invited to participate in the community iron pour to take place on June 12, 2021.
Iron Casting Experience is Preferred for Interns applying for Section 1. Please specify iron experience in your letter of interest if possible. Applicants without iron casting experience will be strongly considered.
• The workload is approximately 30 hours per week
• Interns will have access to studio facilities
• Interns are encouraged to exhibit their work at the sculpture park
• Duties include: assist in sculpture installation, maintenance, weed eating, trail maintenance, assist in park events and workshops, represent WNCSC at community events.
• Requirements: work well with others, self directed, studio are experience is preferred, community oriented, task oriented, reliable
• Food, travel and sculpture materials are the responsibility of the intern
• Interns must be okay with camping for the duration of their stay
• Attend one workshop during your stay
• Access to the WNCSP vegetable garden
• We are happy to work with an academic institution for internship course credit, if needed
• Access to studio space and equipment
• Equipment training with safe practices
• Should interns choose to install personal work built while here, assistance will be provided for install when available
Living at the sculpture park is optional but not required for those interested who may be local.
How to Apply:
• Submit all requested materials in a single .pdf document to with "Internship Application" in the email subject line.
• Letter of Intent - no more than one page, list why you are interested in the program at WNCSC, any skills you are interested in learning about and if you are applying to Section 1 or Section 2.
• Link to website/portfolio or 5-10 images or video of recent work. Videos should not exceed 1 minute.
• Image key for images included (if needed with no website link), to include: title, materials, year, dimensions
• updated resume or CV
• artist statement
• list of two references with email and phone number contact information
• Subject of email: Internship Application
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
•Deadline is April 25, 2021 at midnight. Late submissions will not be considered.
Applicants will be notified the week of April 28, 2021.
We appreciate your interest in working with us and look forward to reviewing your application.
*Workshops are held periodically and it can not be guaranteed that a workshop will be held during each month.