Artist Internship Program
2023 Summer Internship Internship Overview:
The Western North Carolina Sculpture Center is looking for interns to live and work at WNCSC. There are two separate 5 week intern sections to choose from. Section 1 runs from May 22 - June 25, 2023. Section 2 runs from June 26 - July 31, 2023. The minimum duration is 5 weeks and could extend into August should applicants are interested. Applicants may apply to work through both Sections as well, though it is not guaranteed that selection means selection for both sections.
Section 1: This section will coincide with our Iron Light Cast Iron Sculpture Residency and Gathering.
Interns will be tasked with assisting resident artists periodically with mold making and will be invited to participate in the community iron pour to take place on June 3, 2023.
Iron Casting Experience is Preferred for Interns applying for Section 1. Please specify iron experience in your letter of interest if possible. Applicants without iron casting experience will be strongly considered.
• The workload is approximately 25 hours per week
• Interns will have access to studio facilities
• Interns are encouraged to exhibit their work at the sculpture park
• Duties include: assist in sculpture installation, maintenance, weed eating, trail maintenance, assist in park events and workshops, represent WNCSC at community events.
• Requirements: work well with others, professional conduct at all times, self directed, studio are experience is preferred,
community oriented, task oriented, reliable
• Food, travel and sculpture materials are the responsibility of the intern
(WNCSC will make efforts to provide meals as able)
• Interns must be okay with camping for the duration of their stay
(Additional accommodations available through the Patterson School Foundation Dorm Rental program. Email email@example.com with "Dorm" in Subject for more information on rates, etc.)
• Attend one workshop during your stay
• We are happy to work with an academic institution for internship course credit, if needed
• Access to studio space and equipment 24/7
• Equipment training with safe practices
• Should interns choose to install personal work built while here, assistance will be provided for install when available
Living at the sculpture park is optional but not required for those interested who may be local.
Lodging is limited to tent camping. (Additional accommodations available through the Patterson School Foundation Dorm Rental program. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Dorm" in Subject for more information on rates, etc.)
Interns will be required to supply a tent and other necessary camping equipment.
Camp sites are located behind the studio and do not include running water or restrooms.
The studio has showers, restrooms and a communal kitchen space with 24/7 access to interns.
It is recommended to prepare for all kinds of weather.
How to Apply:
• Submit all requested materials in a single .pdf document to email@example.com with "Internship Application" in the email subject line.
• Letter of Intent - no more than one page, list why you are interested in the program at WNCSC, any skills you are interested in learning about and if you are applying to Section 1 or Section 2.
• Link to website/portfolio or 5-10 images or video of recent work. Videos should not exceed 1 minute.
• Image key for images included (if needed with no website link), to include: title, materials, year, dimensions
• updated resume or CV
• artist statement
• list of two references with email and phone number contact information
• Subject of email: Internship Application
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
•Deadline is February 1, 2023 at midnight. Late submissions will not be considered.
Applicants will be notified the week of February 15, 2023.
We appreciate your interest in working with us and look forward to reviewing your application.
*Workshops are held periodically and it can not be guaranteed that a workshop will be held during each month.
For local interested interns, WNC Sculpture will also consider internships during each semester of the academic year.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
to initiate the process for an in-semester internship with Internship in the subject line of the email.